
Escape to Lerma: Your Dream Stay at Hostal Docar Awaits!
Okay, listen up, because I just got back from Hostal Docar in Lerma, and I'm still buzzing. "Escape to Lerma: Your Dream Stay at Hostal Docar Awaits!" they say? Well, mostly true. Let's unpack this glorious, slightly chaotic, and utterly delightful experience. Buckle up; it's going to be a ride.
First Impressions & The Glorious Let-Down of Accessibility (or, "Where's the Ramp, Again?")
Okay, so the website claims accessibility. And maybe, just maybe, if your idea of accessible includes a slightly wonky gravel path leading to the front door, you might be okay. Accessibility: It's listed. But honestly? It's a stretch. I'm not in a wheelchair, but I could immediately tell someone navigating a mobility device would have a Herculean effort. Wheelchair accessible: Let's just say the path is not quite the superhighway of smooth living they're implying.
Now, before I totally lose you with this accessibility rant (which is important!), let me say this: the spirit of Hostal Docar is fantastic. It's just… that whole "accessible" thing needs a serious overhaul. Facilities for disabled guests: Is listed. But I saw no visible specific adaptations. It's a shame.
Rooms: Cozy Chaos & Wi-Fi - Blessed Be!
Once you're in, though… phew! Relief. My room was clean, charmingly… aged, and surprisingly comfortable. Air conditioning: Thank God for that! Lerma gets HOT. Air conditioning in public area: Ditto. Internet access – wireless: YES! Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! YESSS! This is crucial. Internet: You're covered. Internet [LAN]: Okay, I didn't use the LAN, but it's there if that's your jam. Wi-Fi for special events: Unsure, but the regular Wi-Fi was reliable. Additional toilet: Didn't have one, but the bathroom was functional (and the toiletries smelled nice). Alarm clock: Yep. Bathtub: Yep! Blackout curtains: Essential. Carpeting: Yes. Closet: Adequate. Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea: YES! Bless the heavens. Daily housekeeping: Immaculate, truly. Desk: Perfectly functional for frantic emails. Extra long bed: Needed after all my walking. Free bottled water: Always a win. Hair dryer: Essential. High floor: I requested a higher floor, and they accommodated. In-room safe box: Useful. Internet access – wireless: Yes - excellent! Ironing facilities: Yes. Laptop workspace: Worked fine. Linens: Clean and comfy. Mini bar: Present but pricey. Mirror: Present. Non-smoking: Yes. On-demand movies: I didn't try it. Private bathroom: Yes. Reading light: Yes. Refrigerator: Yes. Satellite/cable channels: Yes. Scale: No, thankfully! Seating area: Yes. Separate shower/bathtub: Yes. Shower: Good pressure. Slippers: No. Smoke detector: Yes. Socket near the bed: Very important. Sofa: Present. Soundproofing: Pretty good, but you could occasionally hear the happy chatter from the terrace. Telephone: Yes. Toiletries: Nice. Towels: Plentifull. Umbrella: Didn't need one but they have them. Visual alarm: Didn't test, but presumably there. Wake-up service: Yes. (Wi-Fi [free]: Again, A+.) Window that opens: Always a must.
The Glorious Food Adventure (and Asian Breakfast?)
Okay, let's talk food. Dining, drinking, and snacking: A plus here. The options are impressive. A la carte in restaurant: Yep. Alternative meal arrangement: Sure. Asian breakfast: Hold the phone. Asian breakfast? In Lerma? I didn't see it. Maybe I missed it. Asian cuisine in restaurant: Nope - this wasn't a thing as far as I could tell (though I'd be super stoked if it was!). Bar: A nice, cozy bar. Bottle of water: Delivered to your room; always helpful. Breakfast [buffet]: YES! A decent, if somewhat standard, buffet. Breakfast service: Available every day. Buffet in restaurant: Yes. Coffee/tea in restaurant: Abundant. Coffee shop: Yes. Desserts in restaurant: Decent. Happy hour: Present. International cuisine in restaurant: Mostly. Poolside bar: YES! And oh so tempting in the heat. Restaurants: Several. Room service [24-hour]: This is a MAJOR win. Salad in restaurant: Present. Snack bar: Yes. Soup in restaurant: Yep. Vegetarian restaurant: I didn't notice a dedicated one, but options were available. Western breakfast: Your standard fare. Western cuisine in restaurant: Definitely. Individually-wrapped food options: Yes, a big plus in today's world. Safe dining setup: Yes. Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: Definitely, I saw staff cleaning all the time.
The Good, the Bad, and the Spa! (Okay, Mostly Good)
Now for the relaxation. Things to do, ways to relax: Several options. Body scrub: Nope. Body wrap: Nope. Fitness center: I didn't see a proper gym, but… Foot bath: Nope. Gym/fitness: Nope. Massage: Yes! I got a massage, and it was divine. Seriously. I could have wallowed in bliss all day. Pool with view: Yes! A beautiful outdoor pool. Sauna: Nope. Spa: Yes, but more like a massage experience, not a full spa. Spa/sauna: Nope. Steamroom: Nope. Swimming pool: Yup! Swimming pool [outdoor]: Beautiful.
Cleanliness and Safety: The Modern Traveler's Obsession
Cleanliness and safety: They've nailed this. Anti-viral cleaning products: Yes. Breakfast takeaway service: I think this was available, but I didn't use it. Cashless payment service: Yes. Daily disinfection in common areas: Yes. Doctor/nurse on call: I presume so. First aid kit: Yes. Hand sanitizer: Everywhere. Hot water linen and laundry washing: Yes. Hygiene certification: Appears to be. Individually-wrapped food options: Crucial! Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: Mostly, but sometimes it was a bit of a squeeze. Professional-grade sanitizing services: Yes. Rooms sanitized between stays: Yes. Safe dining setup: Yes. Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: Yes. Shared stationery removed: I saw none. Staff trained in safety protocol: Yes. Sterilizing equipment: Yes.
The Quirks & The Extras (Because Life Isn't Always Smooth)
Services and conveniences: They try. Air conditioning in public area: YES. Audio-visual equipment for special events: I didn't see any, but they might provide it. Business facilities: Basic. Cash withdrawal: Yes! Concierge: Present, but I wasn't blown away. Contactless check-in/out: They offer. Convenience store: Nope. Currency exchange: Maybe. Daily housekeeping: Immaculate. Doorman: No. Dry cleaning: Yes. Elevator: Yes. Essential condiments: They have them! Facilities for disabled guests: See prior lament. Food delivery: I didn’t see it, but I am unsure. Gift/souvenir shop: Limited. Indoor venue for special events: Yes. Invoice provided: Yes. Ironing service: Yes. Laundry service: Yes. Luggage storage: Yes. Meeting/banquet facilities: Yes. Meetings: Yes. Meeting stationery: Probably. On-site event hosting: Yes. Outdoor venue for special events: Yes. Projector/LED display: Maybe. Safety deposit boxes: Yes. Seminars: Maybe. Shrine: No. Smoking area: Yes. Terrace: Lovely. Wi-Fi for special events: Hopefully. Xerox/fax in business center: I didn't look.
For the Kids…
For the kids: They say they're family-friendly. Babysitting service: Unsure. Family/child friendly: Yes. Kids facilities: Limited. Kids meal: Possibly.
The Check-In/Out Experience: Smooth (Mostly)
Access: Fine. CCTV in common areas: Yes. CCTV outside property: Yes. Check-in/out [express]: Available. Check-in/out [private]: Unsure. Couple's room: Probably present. Exterior corridor: Yes. Fire extinguisher: Present - safety first! Front desk [24-hour]: YES. Hotel chain: No hotel chain. Non-smoking rooms: Yes. Pets allowed unavailable: Yes. Proposal spot: Not sure. Room decorations: Nice. **Safety
Wyndham Dalian Jinpu: Your Luxurious Dalian Escape Awaits!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's itinerary. We're diving headfirst into the heart of Spain, Hostal Docar in Lerma, and trust me, we're gonna get lost sometimes. Literally and figuratively. Here we go…
The "Oh God, I Forgot My Adapter!" Chronicles (Lerma Edition)
(Day 1: Arrival & Attempted Assimilation)
- Morning (ish): Arrive at Madrid Barajas Airport. Fly into Madrid. Okay, the flight was fine. Actually, the flight was boring. And the food was…well, let's just say I'm glad I packed a granola bar. The real adventure begins… when I arrive at the airport in Madrid.
- Afternoon: Train to Lerma. Shit. Right, Spanish. Forgot to brush up beyond "Hola" and "Una cerveza, por favor." Panic levels rising. The train station… it's a blur of hurried conversations and the constant scent of strong cigarettes. Feel like a total tourist, clutching my backpack like it's a life raft.
- Arrival at Hostal Docar (around 4 pm): Okay, the Hostal is… rustic. Charming! Let's go with charming. The woman at reception, a whirlwind of energy named Maria, barely seems to speak English (perfect!). She hands me a key, gives me a smile that's both welcoming and slightly terrifying, and points me in the general direction of my room. Which, by the way, is up three flights of stairs. After hauling my luggage, I can barely breathe, and I feel like a sweaty mess.
- Afternoon (continued): The room is… compact. Okay, tiny. But the view! Holy hell, the view! Overlooking the Plaza Mayor, the heart of Lerma. All the color of the buildings! This. This is why I came. Now, to find a plug adapter. Pray for me. (Spoiler: I've already searched three shops. No luck. Maybe I'll just stare at the view and charge my phone later.)
- Evening: Dinner at a local tapas bar, "Casa Domingo." The air crackles with chatter, the scent of garlic and sizzling chorizo. I'm trying to order in terrible Spanish, and the waiter, a man with a handlebar mustache, is fighting back laughter. (He's clearly seen this pathetic tourist before.) Finally just pointed randomly on the menu, and hope for the best. I got a plate of what might have been tripe. Ate it anyway. Surprisingly… not terrible. A glass of Rioja to wash it down. Feeling a little less lost and a lot more tipsy.
** (Day 2: Lerma by Foot and Food)**
- Morning: The Plaza Mayor is magical in the morning sun. I wander around, feeling a sense of calm that I haven’t felt in months. The architecture is incredible. I mean, proper architecture. Not like the cookie-cutter crap we get back home. I stumble upon a church, Colegiata de San Pedro. Inside, it's both grand and intimate. I sat there for a while, just… breathing.
- Afternoon: The Burgos of Lerma. Let's be real, Burgos is a city, and Lerma is a town. But the Burgos castle is worth visiting. It's perched on a hill, a crumbling sentinel overlooking the town. I get hopelessly lost trying to find the path up. Get passed by a couple of old ladies who leave me in the dust. The views, though! Worth the hike, even for someone as perpetually out of shape as me.
- Afternoon (continued): I stop at a local bakery for a pastry. It's filled with cream and drizzled in honey. I eat it on a bench alongside two abuelas gossiping like it's their personal duty. The best pastry of my life.
- Evening: Tapas hopping again! I find a bar that specializes in pinchos (small, bite-sized snacks). Try everything. One bite of a particularly amazing one and literally have to take a moment to myself. Pure heaven on a toothpick. Also, they pour the wine with a flourish, from a height. The first one I’m like, "Oh, cool." By the third, it's a full-on spectacle I can't stop watching.
** (Day 3: The Ribera del Duero, Wine and Revelations)**
- Morning: Okay, so I booked a wine tour. Because, Spain. Because, Rioja. Because, therapy in a glass. The Ribera del Duero region is a short drive from Lerma, and wow. The vineyards stretch as far as the eye can see.
- Afternoon: Visited to a winery; it's a family-run place, and the passion for winemaking is palpable. We learned all about the process, from grape to glass. We taste, of course. The wine is incredible, deep purples and reds, and full of flavor. It's the most beautiful thing I've seen in a long time.
- Afternoon (continued): In the winery, I think I heard myself say something about "needing this," and maybe I was right. Suddenly feeling like maybe everything is not as bad as it seems.
- Evening: Back in Lerma. The Plaza Mayor seems even more beautiful now. Sat on the benches, people-watching, replaying the day in my mind. I feel different. Something about the open-heartedness of the people, the simple beauty of this place, is starting to crack something open inside me.
(Okay, I'm gonna confess. I'm already a little homesick. But I wouldn't trade this for anything. Except, maybe, a charger adapter.)
(Day 4: Departure and the Taste of Spain)
- Morning: Last breakfast at the hostel. The coffee is strong. I will miss this place. I will miss the people. Okay, I will miss the food.
- Afternoon: Train back to Madrid.
- Evening: Flight home. I’m tired. Thinking about all the things I experienced in Lerma. The people, the tapas bars, the wine…and yeah, the tripe. And something in me is changing. I'm a little scared. But also, ridiculously hopeful.
Final Thoughts (and Imperfections):
- The Food: Okay, let's talk about the food. It’s everything. Simple, fresh, bursting with flavor. I think I've gained five pounds. Worth it.
- The Language Barrier: It's… challenging. But also, liberating. I've learned to gesture, to smile, to laugh at my own mistakes. And you know what? People are mostly kind.
- The People: They are the heart of Lerma. Warm, welcoming, vibrant. And they are not afraid of laughter or conversation.
- The Imperfections: Yes, there were moments of stress, of missed connections, of feeling completely lost. But those moments? They're part of the story. They're what made the experience real.
- Would I go back? Absolutely. In a heartbeat. And next time, I'm bringing TWO adapter chargers.
- Final Notes: I am writing this itinerary during the experience. The time is not precise and details might be altered.
And that, my friends, is the unfiltered truth of my Lerma adventure. Now, excuse me, I have a plane to catch and a serious craving for tapas.
Czech Republic's Hidden Gem: Zlatý Chlum Hotel Awaits!
Escape to Lerma: Your Dream Stay at Hostal Docar Awaits! – Maybe? Let's Find Out...FAQish
So, Lerma. Why Lerma? Is it, like, actually worth it?
Okay, deep breath. Lerma. Picture this: you're scrolling, stressed, staring at a laptop glowing like the eye of Sauron. Then, BAM! Pictures of golden stone buildings, a huge, amazing plaza, and a promise of "tranquility." Now, I have a complicated relationship with tranquility. Sometimes, I *crave* it. Other times, it’s just… boring. But Lerma? Yeah, it’s pretty worth it. Think of it as medieval eye candy. It's like someone took a perfectly Instagrammable town and just dropped it there. And it's far, far away from the madness. So, yes. Worth it. Mostly. Depends on how much you *really* need to escape.
Alright, and Hostal Docar? Is it as dreamy as the photos? Spill the tea!
Okay, the photos. Bless them. They're always *flattering,* aren't they? Hostal Docar… Well, it *was* lovely. I mean, it's in a beautifully renovated building, which, let's be honest, is half the charm in Lerma itself. The little courtyard? Spectacular for a pre-dinner nibble and a sneaky glass of wine. Okay, maybe *three* glasses (judge me). The rooms were clean, the bed was comfy – which, after a day of cobblestone dodging, is *crucial*. But... and there's always a but, isn't there? One tiny, insignificant *but* that *somehow* felt like a massive elephant sitting on my chest. More on that later. Let's just say one of the doors creaked like a banshee at 3 AM. And I hate banshees.
What's the food situation in Lerma? Am I going to starve?
Starve? Absolutely not! Lerma is a foodie's playground, honestly. Roasts, stews, and enough local pig "chichas" to make you weep for joy (or, you know, suffer a mild cholesterol-induced panic). There is a *lot* of meat. Be prepared. I mean, I love meat. I *adore* meat. But after Day 3... My inner vegetarian was staging a full-blown revolt. And the restaurant *in* Hostal Docar? Yeah, good. Except... It was a Sunday. It was *packed.* It was *loud.* I'm not a fan of loud, being a bit of a grumpy old woman despite being in my thirties. So, while the food was undeniably good, get there early or prepare for a wait. Or order room service. Which, thankfully, they did have, and the tortilla espanola saved my life... and my sanity.
Transportation - Getting there and getting around - do I need a donkey?
A donkey? Maybe not! Unless you *really* fancy it. Getting to Lerma is pretty straightforward, it's a little outside of Madrid, a car is your best friend. Driving through the countryside is lovely and a real treat. You will need some kind of wheels. Once you're in Lerma, though? Forget the car. You'll be doing plenty of walking. The town is *very* walkable. Very. And cobblestoned. So, sensible shoes are non-negotiable unless you want to develop a fondness for chiropractors. Or a twisted ankle. I *almost* face-planted in the plaza, you know, the *beautiful* plaza. Embarrassing. So, yeah, walk. Enjoy the views. Just watch your step. And maybe invest in some comfortable shoes.
Okay, back to that creaky door. Seriously, what was *that* about? Obsessed.
Oh, the *door*. Don't even get me started. Okay, I *will* get started. It was like a horror movie cliché. Every. Single. Night. I mean, I'm a light sleeper anyway (damn you, internal clock!). And this door? It had a life of its own. Every gust of wind, every shift of the building, *CAWED* like a demented crow. And I'm a huge wuss when it comes to things making noises at night. I spent what felt like hours, propped up in bed, convinced a ghost was trying to sneak in. I tried everything: earplugs (useless), slamming the door shut (made it worse), even muttering threats at it in the dark. Nothing worked. It was a tiny, annoying, perfectly imperfect detail that *somehow* dominated my entire experience. I'd probably still go back, but I'd bring a full-blown door-slamming exorcist with me. Trust me.
Best things to do *besides* eating chichas and dodging cobblestones?
Okay, other than stuffing your face and practicing your ankle-twisting skills, there's plenty! The Plaza Mayor is stunning, take a photo in it. The Ducal Palace is worth a gander. Visit the museums to admire the art and history. Just wander around. Honestly, the best thing about Lerma is just *being* there. The pace is slow. The views are gorgeous. Don't try to cram too much in. Embrace the stillness. Get lost in the maze of streets. And maybe, just maybe, you'll finally find some peace and quiet. Unless you, you know, get the creaky door room. In which case, good luck.
Would you go back to Hostal Docar? Creaky door and all?
That's the million-dollar question, isn't it? The honest answer? Probably. The food was good, the town was beautiful, and honestly, the creaky door, in retrospect, is kind of a funny story. Okay, it *is* a funny story. Now. At the time, it was a five-alarm fire of sleep deprivation. But yeah, I'd probably go back. But next time, I’m bringing duct tape. And maybe a priest. Just in case. And a better pair of shoes. And definitely earplugs that actually work. Wish me luck.

