Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: WE Hotel Toya Toyoura - Japan's Hidden Gem

WE Hotel Toya Toyoura Japan

WE Hotel Toya Toyoura Japan

Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: WE Hotel Toya Toyoura - Japan's Hidden Gem

Unbelievable Luxury Awaits? WE Hotel Toya Toyoura – Buckle Up, Buttercup! (A Review That's Actually Real)

Okay, so you're thinking about WE Hotel Toya Toyoura, eh? Let me tell you, I just got back. My brain's still buzzing, my wallet's whimpering… and I think I might have fallen in love with a spa. Don't judge me. This place is… a lot. And trust me, you’ll need this review. All those perfectly curated travel blogs? Forget 'em. This is the gritty, unvarnished truth. Consider this your digital travel buddy, whispering in your ear just how unbelievable (maybe?) this hidden gem actually is.

Accessibility: Navigating Paradise (or at Least Hokkaido)

First things first, getting there. Hokkaido isn't exactly a hop, skip, and a jump for most of us. The airport transfer was a godsend – seriously, after that long flight, the thought of navigating public transport was a recipe for a meltdown. They were efficient, polite, and the car… well, it felt like stepping into a spaceship after the cramped airplane. Bonus points: Car park [free of charge]! Always a win. The whole vibe of accessibility, so important to me, was there. Elevator? Check. Facilities for disabled guests? Double-check. They seem to have thought of everything. This is a big plus!

On-site Accessible Restaurants/Lounges: Food, Glorious Food (and Does Someone Need a Hand?)

This is where things get… interesting. The restaurants themselves are beautiful. The views! Oh, the views! (More on that later). The food? Variable. One night, I swear I had the BEST tempura of my life. The next night? Let’s just say I’m more of a "mac and cheese" kinda gal. It wasn’t bad, but it also wasn't life-changing. Asian cuisine in restaurant. International cuisine in restaurant. So, yeah, variety is the spice of life and they got that part down. As for accessibility in these spaces -- seemed pretty straightforward, and the staff were pretty helpful. I'm a small person and I am sure they would not have been able to assist me if I had more specific physical needs.

Wheelchair Accessible: The Big Question

Honestly, I didn't need to test this out, (thank god!) but from what I could see, the hotel appears to be very accommodating. Wide hallways, ramps where needed… The website, however, is a bit coy on the specifics. I would suggest you reach out and ask directly, especially if this is a vital consideration. Don't take my word for it!

Internet Access: Staying Connected in the Wild (and Getting Work Done)

Yes! Praise the Wi-Fi gods! Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! – Hallelujah! I could post my Instagram stories, stalk my ex, and generally avoid any actual work (which, let's be honest, is a priority!). And, in the room, just good to go. Internet [LAN] is also available and seems fast.

Things to Do/Ways to Relax: Spa-tastic! (And Everything Else)

Okay, let's talk about the real reason we're here: the relaxation. Prepare to be pampered. Seriously. The Spa… oh. My. God.

I spent like, a large chunk of my time here. It started with a body scrub – a delightfully rough experience that somehow left me feeling like a newborn seal pup. Then – and I'm not exaggerating – it was THE MOST AMAZING massage of my existence. The masseuse (bless her heart) was so gentle yet firm, she found knots I didn't even know existed. I’m still dreaming of the sauna and the steamroom. If you're on the fence? DO IT. Just do it. Forget the kids. Ditch the spouse. This is your time.

And the swimming pool [outdoor]? The pool with a view? Yes, you read that right. Swim in blissful, heated water while staring out over breathtaking Toya Lake. It was so quiet and serene. No screaming kids, just pure, unadulterated bliss. (Though, I did see a couple of kids there - shudders.)

Other things to do? Fitness center, if you're into that sort of torture (I'm not). Foot bath – nice for a pre-spa chill. They have a really nice gym/fitness center. And, for the record, I went to it once and never again. I did take advantage of the sauna.

Cleanliness and Safety: Feeling Safe and (Mostly) Sound

Okay, let's get serious for a moment. COVID. It's still a thing, sadly. WE Hotel seems to take this seriously. Plenty of hand sanitizer. Daily disinfection in common areas. Rooms sanitized between stays. They were making a darn good effort. I noticed Anti-viral cleaning products. Safe dining setup. Staff trained in safety protocol. I even thought about the possibility of getting sick and their doctor/nurse on call makes me feel happy, though. I did not see any sterilizing equipment. Individually-wrapped food options are nice too. This all really put me at ease. I was able to relax without worrying too much.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling Your Relaxation (and Maybe Indulging)

Food, glorious food! Let's dive into the offerings. The Asian breakfast was… well, it was breakfast. Pretty good, honestly. The Breakfast [buffet] was an experience. A beautifully curated buffet is really interesting. Coffee/tea in restaurant was always a lifesaver. Happy hour was the highlight of my evenings. And the Poolside bar? Perfect for watching the sunset with a cocktail (or three).

The Room service [24-hour] is a lifesaver after a long day of, well, relaxing. And the prices? Not as extortionate as you might expect. Though, watch your wallet, you might add a few of the desserts in restaurant and salad in restaurant.

Services and Conveniences: Everything You Need (and Probably Don't)

The hotel is well-equipped. Concierge service was top-notch, and the staff were genuinely helpful. Daily housekeeping keeps things tidy. Laundry service saved my life. The gift/souvenir shop is dangerous for impulse buyers like me. Meeting/banquet facilities are available, but I didn't witness a single boring conference happening. They have a lovely terrace. Very beautiful shrine on the property, right in front! Cash withdrawal, Currency exchange, Luggage storage, Safety deposit boxes, and all the other conveniences. The Convenience store is a real bonus if you forgot anything.

For the Kids: (Mostly) Kid-Free Zone

This is where the "Hidden Gem" label gets a little… tricky. While family/child-friendly is listed, it's not overwhelmingly child-focused. Which, for me, was a HUGE selling point. I saw some kids facilities, but they weren’t intrusive. Babysitting service available.

Access: Getting In and Out

Safe and sound! They have CCTV in common areas and also CCTV outside property (which is a little creepy, but I understand). Check-in/out [express] and they also have Check-in/out [private]. There's also Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], and Smoke alarms.

Available in All Rooms: The Essentials (and a Tiny Fridge)

The rooms are lovely. Air conditioning is a MUST. The bathrobes are fluffy and luxurious. The bathtubs are deep enough to soak away your troubles. The blackout curtains are a lifesaver for sleeping in. Complimentary tea and Coffee/tea maker. It really had everything you would want.

Getting Around: The World is Your Oyster (or Maybe Just Toya Lake)

Car park [on-site] – another bonus. Taxi service available.

The Verdict: Should You Go? Absolutely!

WE Hotel Toya Toyoura is a special place. It's not perfect. There were a few minor blips (a lukewarm cup of coffee here, a slightly bland meal there). But those imperfections just make it feel… real, you know? It's not some sterile, cookie-cutter resort. It's got a soul, it's got character, and it's got a damn good spa.

My Honest Rating: 8.5/10 – Would definitely return (and probably will, if I can afford it again!).

**Now, for the HARD SELL!

Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Hanting Hotel Baohua Xianlin Cuigu Zhenjiang!

Book Now

WE Hotel Toya Toyoura Japan

WE Hotel Toya Toyoura Japan

Okay, buckle up buttercup. This isn't your sanitized travel brochure. This is me, after a week at WE Hotel Toya Toyoura, Japan, basically unraveling my soul and trying to make sense of, well, everything. And the hotel? Oy, the hotel. Let's just say it was a character in this whole messy, beautiful disaster.

WE Hotel Toya Toyoura: My Slightly Unhinged Itinerary

(Prepare for total chaos. Time? Who has time for time?)

Day 1: Arrival & Pretentious Bliss (and Jet Lag)

  • Morning: Landed in Sapporo. The air smelled suspiciously of… something amazing. Probably snow and unseen magic. Passport control was a breeze. Victory! (Never underestimate the power of a non-wrinkled passport photo). Took the train to Toya. Ooh, the scenery! Lush, green, kinda reminded me of a Studio Ghibli film. Instant instagram story fodder. Nailed it.
  • Afternoon: Arrived at WE Hotel. The welcome was… well, it was something. Extremely polite bowing and a welcome drink that tasted like flowers and existential dread. The room? Japanese minimalist meets Scandinavian chic. Stunning. Like, I legit gasped. Then I probably knocked over a miniature zen garden while unpacking. Shame.
  • Evening: Dinner. Okay, the food. The food. They served this Wagyu beef that practically melted in my mouth. I’m not one for flowery descriptions, but… it was orgasmic. I swear I saw angels. Then, the jet lag hit. Hard. Passed out in the onsen (hot spring). Not a pretty sight, I'm sure. Pretty sure I snored. Woke up. More existential dread.

Day 2: Lake Toya, and My Ongoing Struggle with Humility

  • Morning: Breakfast: A spread of beautifully presented… things. I honestly have no idea what half of it was. But I ate everything. Including something that probably involved seaweed. Regret? A little. Satisfaction? Immense.
  • Late Morning/Early Afternoon: Lake Toya boat tour. The lake itself is gorgeous, yes. But it's the little things that got to me. The reflections of the mountains, the incredibly polite Japanese tourists, the sudden urge to buy a ridiculously expensive souvenir that I'll probably never use. I ended up not buying anything. Victory! (Round 2!)
  • Afternoon: Tried a bit of hiking. Got lost. Briefly considered becoming one with nature (aka eating berries while lying on the ground). Found the path again (eventually!). Realized I'm not Bear Grylls. Phew.
  • Evening: Attempted to read a book in the hotel bar. Failed. Distracted by the exquisitely crafted cocktails, the ambient jazz music, and the sheer weight of my own thoughts (mostly self-deprecating). Ended up chatting with the incredibly friendly bartender about the meaning of life. He just smiled. I think he was used to it.

Day 3: Onsen Overload & Spiritual Cleansing (Maybe?)

  • Morning: Determined to master the art of the onsen. Failed. Still not sure what the rules were - I think I managed to follow them. Spent a LOT of time staring at other people, trying to figure out what I was seeing (I'm talking about the onsen! Get your mind out of the gutter). The water was heavenly. I felt… cleaner. Physically, at least.
  • Afternoon: Spa treatment! Finally something I can handle. Blissful massage. Then, I realized I was still wearing a damp swimsuit under my robe. Mortified but still relaxed. The treatment was fantastic, and I could feel my muscles start to relax.
  • Evening: Decided on a solo dinner at the hotel restaurant. Tried to be sophisticated. Ended up accidentally ordering an entire plate of raw fish I didn't know how to eat properly. Let out a loud (and probably unwelcome) sigh. The waiter was incredibly polite. He offered me a spoon. I declined. I did finish the fish, though. I didn't want to cause him any trouble. Thought I would not be able to eat well again…
  • Late Night: Wandered into the hotel's meditation room. Started to meditate. Fall asleep. Woke up, and went back to bed.

Day 4: The Volcano (and My Existential Crisis Continues)

  • Morning: Morning! Breakfast! More incredibly delicious things that I still didn't fully understand. But devoured anyway.
  • Afternoon: Visiting Mount Usu. This active volcano. The scenery? Stunning. The fact that it could erupt at any moment? Slightly terrifying. Learned a lot about volcanos, apparently. Didn't learn how to stop thinking about my life. And the hike? Upwards. And downwards. Saw some incredibly interesting views.
  • Evening: Dinner. This time, I planned ahead. Ordered something relatively safe. Still delicious. Felt an odd sense of peace. Maybe it was the wine. Maybe it was the fact that the volcano hadn't, you know, blown up.
  • Late Night: Sat on my balcony, staring at the lake. The stars were incredible. It felt like the universe was trying to tell me something. Still trying to figure out what.

Day 5: The Art of Doing Absolutely Nothing

  • Morning: Slept in. Finally.
  • Afternoon: Reading. Swimming. Just… being. I think I finally got it. It's called bliss, and it seems to be in WE Hotel Toya.
  • Evening: Fine dining experience at the hotel's restaurant. The art, food, and service: Exceptional.
  • Late Night: Sat in the onsen, watching the stars. Got a little bit emotional. This trip. This hotel. It’s changed me. Then I got out, dried myself, and went back to bed.

Day 6: Shopping! (And My Lack of Financial Restraint)

  • Morning: Ate breakfast (I now know what everything is, but I’m not sure I want to know.) Decided to go shopping in town. Saw lovely things. Bought them. Spent too much money. As always.
  • Afternoon: Tried to go around town and see the sights. Got lost. Again. Bought more things.
  • Evening: Back at the hotel, did some light packing. Dinner. One more onsen. Watched the sunset. Sigh.
  • Late Night: Final meditation. This time, I actually meditated for a whole thirty seconds before falling asleep in the meditation room.

Day 7: Farewell (And the Tears, Oh, the Tears!)

  • Morning: HEARTBREAK. Packed the rest of my stuff. Ate breakfast (the usual, still delicious). Checked out. Said goodbye to the incredibly polite staff. (Okay, maybe I gave a small, unmanly sob…but who's counting?)
  • Afternoon: Train back to Sapporo. Reflecting. Still feeling deeply altered. Will I ever be the same? Probably not.
  • Evening: Flight home. Already planning my return. WE Hotel Toya, you magnificent, slightly confusing place, you've got a hold of me.

Quirky Observations & Imperfections:

  • I’m pretty sure I saw a ghost in the onsen. Or maybe it was just the steam. Or my imagination running wild. Probably the steam.
  • Mastered the art of the bow, sort of. At least I think I bowed the right way - I hope.
  • Lost my phone (again). Found it. In the breakfast buffet. Facepalm.
  • Spent far too long trying to understand the Japanese toilet. Still not sure I've fully cracked it.

Emotional Reactions:

  • Joy: Overwhelming. Pure. Unadulterated.
  • Frustration: With myself. With my inability to speak more than three words of Japanese. With the sheer overwhelming beauty of it all.
  • Awe: At the scenery, the food, the people, the hotel itself.
  • Sadness: Saying goodbye. Knowing I might not experience this level of beauty ever again. And the onsen… how am I gonna get by without that? Wails internally.
  • Gratitude: For the experience. For the lessons (still unlearned, but hey, a girl can dream). For the chance to stumble and fall and pick myself back up (sometimes literally).

In Conclusion (Sort Of):

WE Hotel Toya Toyoura is not just a hotel. It's an experience. It’s a challenge. It's a test of your sanity, your patience, and your ability to eat things you don't understand. And although it all wasn’t the perfect trip, I would do it again in a heartbeat. (With a better handle on the toilet situation, I hope.) Go. Just… go. And prepare to be utterly, beautifully, and messily transformed.

Escape to Paradise: Ubud Palace Poolside Luxury Awaits!

Book Now

WE Hotel Toya Toyoura Japan

WE Hotel Toya Toyoura Japan

Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: WE Hotel Toya Toyoura - Japan's Hidden Gem FAQ (with a dose of real life!)

Okay, so is WE Hotel Toya *really* a hidden gem? I mean, it sounds a bit…overhyped, right?

Alright, look, I went in with a healthy dose of skepticism. Anything with "unbelievable luxury" kinda screams "vacation brochure lie," you know? But honestly? Yeah, *mostly* it is. It’s not like I discovered some secret portal to Narnia or anything. But stepping out onto that balcony and seeing Lake Toya spread out before you, with the mountains in the background… it’s breathtaking. Seriously. I almost choked on my damn coffee. My husband was all like, "You okay, hon?" because I just stood there, mouth agape, for a solid five minutes. So, hidden gem? Maybe not *totally* hidden. But worth the trip? Hell yes. Though, be warned, it's not *perfect*… more on that later...

What's the food situation like? Because I like to *eat*. A lot.

The food… oh, the food. Let me tell you, if you're a foodie, you *need* to go. The main restaurant, The Dining, is where the all the magic happens. They serve up the most incredible multi-course meals with local ingredients. I had some kind of Wagyu beef that literally melted in my mouth. I swear I could *taste* the happy cow. And the presentation? Forget about it! Each plate was a work of art. Now, here's the real kicker: you can actually *choose* a sake pairing for each dish. My liver nearly staged a revolt, but the experience… glorious! Even my husband, who usually lives on hot dogs, was blown away.
The breakfast buffet? Don't even get me started. It's not just the usual scrambled eggs and sad sausages. There's fresh fruit, pastries, and all sorts of Japanese delicacies. I practically rolled myself out of the restaurant every morning. One tiny gripe? It can get a little crowded during peak breakfast hours. Just try to go a bit early, or you might find yourself subtly judging the people in line at the omelet station. We all do it.

What about the rooms? Are they truly as luxurious as they claim? What about the views?

Okay, so this is where things get REALLY good. The rooms are… stunning. They're spacious, thoughtfully designed, and have incredible views of Lake Toya. We splurged for a suite with a private onsen (hot spring bath) on the balcony. Let me paint you a picture: Picture yourself, in a plush bathrobe, soaking in a hot spring bath, watching the sunset over the lake, with a glass of chilled sake in your hand. Pure. Bliss.
The beds were like sleeping on a cloud. Honestly, I haven't slept that well in years. There was also a heated toilet seat, the most important amenity I've ever encountered. However... slight imperfection here. Our room did not have the best wifi. It was a minor inconvenience, but if you really *need* to be connected, that's something to keep in mind. But, you know, maybe consider it a feature, not a bug. Forced digital detox and that type of thing?

Speaking of onsen… what's the onsen situation like? I'm picturing a bunch of naked people...

Yep, you're picturing it right! Public onsens (separate for men and women, of course) are a big part of the experience. They're incredibly relaxing. The water is wonderfully hot, and the atmosphere is designed to be serene. You'll be naked. Get over it. No one's really looking at you. Unless... perhaps there is a person or two... I may or may not have accidentally made eye contact with a very intense-looking Japanese businessman in the men's onsen at one point. We both just stared. Awkwardly. But other than that... nothing dramatic.
The hotel also has private onsens, if you're shy (or just prefer a bit of solitude, like I did). Trust me, it’s worth trying – it's an essential part of the experience. Just be prepared for the initial *shock* of the heat!

Okay, fine, you've almost convinced me. What are the other activities besides eating and bathing? Is there anything for me?

Besides the obvious (eating and onsen), there are a few other things. The hotel offers spa treatments (hello, massage!), which are, naturally, amazing. They also have a gym, if you feel the need to work off all that amazing food. There are hiking trails in the area, and you can take boat trips on the lake. Honestly? We spent most of our time chilling in the onsen and eating. And reading. And trying to figure out which amazing meal we’d have next. It's that kind of place. Don’t go here if you're looking to be constantly entertained. Go there if you want to relax, unwind, and forget about work.
Oh, and the gift shop is dangerous. I spent way too much money on Japanese skincare products. My bank account still hasn't forgiven me.

What about the service? Is it as impeccable as you'd expect from a luxury hotel?

Generally, yes. The staff were incredibly attentive and polite. They are all very polite. They were always eager to help, always smiling (even when I was probably being a bit demanding!). Everyone speaks excellent English, which is always a relief when navigating a new country. One minor hiccup... a request for a bottle opener took an unusually long time, and my husband almost resorted to using a shoe. Otherwise, the service was top-notch. You could tell they genuinely cared about making sure you had a good time.

Is it family-friendly? Or is this more of a couples/romantic getaway kind of place?

That's a good question. I think it's more geared towards couples or adults seeking a relaxing break. There weren't a ton of children there when we visited. However, I did see a few families, and the staff seemed accommodating. It could work, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it if you have super energetic kids. This is a place to soak, relax, and sip sake, not to chase after toddlers.

What's the best time to go? And how do you get there?

The best time to go is probably spring or fall, when the weather is pleasant. Summer can be hot and humid, and winter can get very cold (although the onsen is glorious in the winter). To get there, fly into New Chitose Airport (CTS) near Sapporo. From there, you can take the trainTrip Hotel Hub

WE Hotel Toya Toyoura Japan

WE Hotel Toya Toyoura Japan

WE Hotel Toya Toyoura Japan

WE Hotel Toya Toyoura Japan